I managed to move along fairly well in a 47hp Karman Ghia and a 67hp(?) '80 240D. ;<)

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Hurst" <jabbahur...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:31 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1984 380SL

or, alternatively, downshift and put your foot into it

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:24 AM, Gary Hurst <jabbahur...@gmail.com> wrote:

power is overrated.  150HP or so is huge if you put your foot into it and
downshift

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Jaime Kopchinski <jaime...@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi Dan,
There are lots of deals out there with R107s (I just bought a 450SL today, in fact). You have to be careful with resale value of a high mileage car.
 With your talent of being able to improve these cars both cosmetically
and
mechanically, you're probably best off finding a car in need of some TLC
with lower mileage. Then when you're "done" with it, it'll be worth quite a bit more than a higher mileage car in the same condition. Same effort,
and possibly nearly the same upfront costs.  There are so many of these
cars out there, and so many with low mileage, that a high mileage car just
can't compete on the same price scale.

Now, all this really depends on what you can buy this car for. If you're
talking under $5000 and the interior is nice, then I might think
differently.  A pile of service records from new will help the resale
value
quite a bit, too.

As far as 380SLs... they're not very powerful, as you know, but the quick
sifting 4 speed transmission make them nicer to drive that 450SLs, in my
opinion.  You also get all the benefits of next generation climate
control,
cruise control, etc. Overall, a much more modern car than the 450SL. But
I guess its also worth noting that the 560SL is another generation newer
still in many ways.  And, in comparison to a 380 or 450, is unbelievably
powerful.

Good luck!
Jaime

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

> Might have a chance to get a 1984 380SL from the second owner. 160k, > 10k > in the last ten years, top end done at 150k along with a full repaint > in
> original color. Soft top replaced when car was repainted. Has the hard
top,
> too, of course.
>
> More details as I get them.
>
> Comments, opinions, pitfalls to avoid?
>
> I don't know how close I am to pulling this off, but I am going to
try...

> Dan
>
> Sent from my iPad

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/

*reliable vendor of superior parts for mercedes and other european cars*
*www.BuyEUROparts.com <http://www.BuyEUROparts.com>*