I may be able to get it for under $4k, which could make it worthwhile one it has been inspected and gets a clean bill of health.

Absolutely, if it is as I imagine it from your description.

I know the 380 is far from a rocket ship, but I don't care about that and would rather have the fuel economy over power.

My 560 actually got better fuel economy than my friend's 380.
I never got good economy numbers from _my_ 380 because 90% of the
time it was not running right, due to the oil-fouling of one
plug.  With a new plug it performed very nicely, just not for
very long.  I really liked driving it when it was in a good
mood.  Smooth, and plenty fast enough.  The 4-speed tranny
made the difference over the 450's 3-speed.

Since (I think) the 380 is devalued compared to the 450 and 560, I see this working in my favor for getting the same chassis car with the lower displacement engine.

Yep.  One in good shape is an excellent value.  If you can solder.  :-)

450SLs are a dime a dozen around here, but most are thrashed and from the 1985 range with the underwood cats with all the related issues.

Underhood cats in only two years, one of which was '76.  (Ours.)
Most of those cats are gutted, by now.  Turns out ours were.
The _bad_ thing about the 450 is the ACC.

-- Jim