Give the kid the S500.  There is nothing so entertaining as tooling around in a
R107.  Wind in the hair, sun, bugs in the teeth.

If you do get it for under $5k, that is a pretty good score.  It sounds like it
was well loved.  The "lack" of power is an illusion.  The 450SL is slow out the
gate, and maybe the 560 has some more giddy up, upgraded transmission and diff.
 The 380 will seem just as fast, as long as you think it is.

Just my $0.02