 From: Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: Mercedes List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Mobil 1 $23 at Wally World

I am changing about every 5k-6k and I'm perfectly happy with that.  If the oil
hasn't "broken in" (and I would like to see the citations for these claims) by
then it's not going to.

For almost 25 years I worked with industrial diesels with 1000s of HP that had
sumps well beyond 100 gallons.  Almost every one of them was changed on a
calendar basis, only a few were changed based on oil analysis.  I'm not saying
there's anything wrong with oil analysis, in fact, when done properly it can
provide a wealth of information about the engine.  In the stationary engine
business, about the only people who do oil analysis are those who have an
aggressive maintenance program that pays close attention to everything, and/or
those running engines in prime power (continuous) operation.  Everyone else
does it every two years or so.

Quite frankly, I don't care to do it and I don't want the additional hassle and
expense.  I'll just change mine on the intervals I'm happy with and continue
on.  And yes, we could argue that I would save money in the long run, but I'm
not that interested in doing so.  I'm just more comfortable with changing the
oil and filter out at the mileage or time I think is appropriate.

Dan