The '87 300D I stripped parts from in the Richmond pick-n-pull still had
the trap oxidizer, #14 head, ~350,000 miles on the odometer.

I found no obvious reason for it to be junked, I would guess that the
transmission gave up.  One of the lines for the turbo boost signal to the
ALDA was broken, so it probably was underpowered.  Maybe the head was
cracked and it was drinking coolant.  It had some fancy aftermarket radio /
alarm.

-Max