After I bought my '95 E300 and Rich helped me drag it home, I needed about
a year to get it running, finally went to register it and was expecting to
have to pay the back year.  Guy at the DMV counter asked why I had not
registered it after I bought it, I told him I needed some time to fix it so
it was sitting in my garage for a while, he was able to waive the
back-registration on the spot, easy-peasy.  I was quite happy about that.