I believe that Audi & VW are still one and the same.... if not, someone please
correct me.

I believe, based on what I have learned since my W140 and R129 ownership, that
from 1996-7 through the early 2000s MB had most of the kinks worked out of
their cars.  This would not apply to the M class, which I have heard
anecdotally to generally be POS all over.

The early 90s were pretty ugly for MB in a lot of areas, but they seemed to
take heed of what had happened and applied it to cars in the late 90s from what
I can tell.

Dan