On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:55:06 -0500 Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> It does not shut off when the key is turned off - most of the time. I
> sometimes wonder if I am going to wear out the hood release cable since
> I have to open the hood so often.

As others have said, this could be a simple vacuum leak. What happens if
you connect a MityVac directly to the shutoff vacuum element? Or, not
having a MityVac, connecting a short, new hose to it and sucking on the
free end?

> Low beam is way too short. I should try adjusting the headlights upward
> a bit and see how much improvement I can get that way.

Yes, that's what you should do. If your high beams are not pointing
straight ahead, you need to raise both beams.

> No dash lights now either. Used to be able to fiddle with the rheostat
> and get them to work dimly but now nothing. Don't drive much at night
> so it has not been a big problem this summer but need to address that
> one as a safety issue and to preserve the car.

You can take the instrument cluster out and solder a wire across the
rheostat to have them on full all the time (and full is not really all
that much! :-) )

> Don't want to overheat or lose oil pressure and not even know it.

That's for sure.

> Randy who envies you folks down south (except when it is really hot and
> humid down there)

Well, you can take a winter break and play snow bird if you wish ...

Craig