I don't recall you saying. Is the welder you got 110 volt.. or 220 volt?

You will find 110 volt wire feeds struggle to hold a stable arc thus have
larger variation in the weld puddle temp and size.. With experience, the
welder can adjust his handling of the weld to compensate.. some.. but he
will always be "behind the curve" a little.

On thicker material, it won't be so apparent.. as you go to thin sheet
metal that "lead / lag" in arc stability and weld puddle temp becomes more
critical..

Yes, you can blame it on "the machine" in that instance. It will preform
more acceptably using the spot weld tecnique than trying to run a continous
bead because the shorter heat cycle will be more within it's capabilities.

Adapt and Overcome...