I also was thinking of the heat of compression, and that storing it in
caves would cool it considerably, but then read "NRStor is joining up with
Massachusetts-based General Compression Inc.,  which developed a
compressed-air technology that uses heat exchangers in a  so-called
near-isothermal process instead of fuel." There have to be losses in the
heat exchange process, and to what are the pumping the heat? I guess if
they heat water high enough with the heat, they could use it to drive
turbines as well. My geothermal heat pump heats the water heater with
excess heat in the summer, I guess they could do the same.
I do think that using gravity to store the excess energy via pumping it up
hill, and letting it run down through a turbine would be better though.

--
OK Don

NSA: The only branch of government that actually listens to US citizens!

for themselves."

2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!