I noticed a few weeks ago that the local squirrel population or presence was
gone or seriously diminished.

About two weeks ago, we noticed a nest of red winged hawks in a tree at the
back of our property. They're pretty noisy now, starting the hunting and
feeding of the youngsters well before dawn. I went out yesterday morning before
sunrise and saw the dad out hunting.

I'm suspecting that the need to feed several hungry chicks has put a serious
damper on the local tree rat population. They used to be quite active in the
woods behind my house, and now I neither see or hear much of them at all.

Nice to have the hawks setting up housekeeping in the neighborhood. They've
been around for a while, but we hadn't seen evidence of nesting or offspring
until now.

We have a bunch of large owls around here, too.

Dan who gets up with the roosters every morning

Sent from my iPad