I would agree on your observations from a functional standpoint, no politics or
personalities involved.

I would say that in my experience with various factions in our government that
I found the State Department often played loose and fast with little regard for
the "rules", if there were any. It was almost always a "do whatever it takes
and we'll deal with the fallout afterwards" when it was a high visibility or
high value asset we were doing the work for.  Fortunately, we were not the ones
who had to deal with fallout, only being the "fixers" in the situation.

That being said, our actions often involved the expenditure of funds that were
not always warranted. That is, we got paid to clean up someone else's mess
rather than them holding the responsible party responsible.

Dan

Sent from my iPad