90% of such a proposal would be a materials problem.  Advantages
are that we're only talking about maybe 20HP, so the diameter of
the thing would be small, making the physical (but not thermal)
stresses more modest.  There would be LOTS of details to work
out; the development bill would be large.  I just think (wish?)
the payoff would be worth it.  With a single operating point
(which turbines kinda already have) the efficiency, noise, and
emissions could be optimized.  And it doesn't fly, so that'd
translate to a whole bunch of cost savings in the end.  That's
my dream, anyway.

-- Jim