Brake drag will definitely lower milage in your Golf -- I've picked up about 2 mpg since the rear brakes quit dragging and the pedal regained it's normal feel. I'm sure the issue was related to being parked for six months or so over the winter, but drag is drag.

I'll be having the tires rotated and balanced and check out the "thump thump thump" I'm getting from the front, looks as though one of the wheels has damage. If so, I'll be finding a set of 15" wheels when the tires wear out, I'm NOT fond of the 18" wheels and rock hard tires it has on it. Steering is great, the ride stinks.

Minor things drop the milage on these cars quite a bit -- there is a couple mpg in a minor alignment issue, the low profile tires can cost you a couple mpg in rolling resistance, and minor brake dragging issue clobber the milage.

I was just shy of 700 miles on the last tank of fuel, would have tried for 700 but don't really want the car sitting in rain with an empty tank and dropping temps, way too much condesation.

Peter