There is way old computer tech that would fit the mold.  An ATI or other video
conversion card (PCI) with the hardware could drop into a newer PC and allow
you to suck VHS in and digitize it.  As a digital file, you could burn it on a
DVD.  Get five or six movies on a DVD even at the highest resolution and coding

clay