One thing I'm curious about.  Air bags are critical to surviving an
accident - my wife lived because of the air bag she had when she was in a wreck last Oct - but I'm not sure how you *know* they're still ready and willing to fire should the need arise. Does the car do a self test of the
air bag to make sure it's working?

The SRS system self-tests at each start, but obviously the
test can only do so much.  It does test the continuity of the
squibs, at least.  But whether or not they'll go BANG when
they need to?  That's an open-loop question.  But I believe
they're rated for 15 years, and probably will work well beyond
that.

At 99k miles the GPs might be getting long in the tooth. What's the best
way to test them?  Resistance?  what value should they have?

0.6 ohms for the mid-80's ones.

-- Jim