If you use a HVLP paint gun... also use an air pressure regulator... a good
one with a filter is best.

Air pressure AT THE GUN NOZZLE TIP is what you need to control. Most folks
try to run much to much pressure, which produces a "paint cloud" rather
than a soft fan.. I find 25 PSI at the gun is more than enough to produce a
fan spray with no "cloud effect" of over spray.. which is really your
expensive paint NOT going on the thing being painted, but being blown away.

Use a sheet of scrap cardboard as a test fender and play with your
adjustments on the spray gun, air pressure at the gun [control your
regulator] until you get a nice spray, at the lowest pressure possible,
without producing a "cloud of paint effect".

I use thinner to set up the gun, before using paint.. then fine tune the
adjustments with a couple passes on the test cardboard with paint.

HTH,

Grant...