Clear coat paint is a programmed failure. Mechanically, sunlight passes
through the clear coat, is reflected by the base coat, which is smooth and
reflective under the clear coat.. when the UV light is refracted back to
the surface of the clear coat, it is reflected back to the base coat,
because the surface of the clear coat "on the surface" is cloudy and the UV
light can't get out.. so it bounces back and forth, all the while
microscopically super heating the  clear coating, which caused it to
separate from the base coat and fail...

Bad system design... Looks nice for a couple years.. then fails
progressively faster... By it's nature.. it "bonds" to the base coat.. so
can't be stripped as an individual coating...

In Arizona.. where clear coat failure only takes one year instead of two,
because the sun shines 353 days of the year..

Grant...