You only see bubbles if compression is leaking into the coolant badly. If it is leaking oil into the cylinder, you won't see bubbles in the cyl.

These are indications of a problem that is bad, but I still contend that you can't prove it is good without taking the head off.

Yes, you could pull GP, nozzles, and prechambers and use a micrometer depth gauge to determine distance to piston top at TDC, but carbon could throw off the reading. You could get false positive or false negative.

Dan--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 13, 2016 at 2:21 PM
But will a compression check really tell you anything? If it was leaking, wouldn't you see bubbles in the coolant?

Dan

Sent from my iPad

OK Don via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM
Compression check?????

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Curley McLain via Mercedes <

Curley McLain <mailto:126die...@gmail.com>
October 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM
How do you tell if it is ok now without taking the head off? If the seller slips up and says it burns oil or loses antifreeze, you know it is not good. But there is no way to know if it is good without measuring the cylinder that I know of.

Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM
If it's OK now, wouldn't it be worth rescuing before it goes bad?

--R

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Talked to the owner just now. Engine has never been opened. Ouch. He knows about the OM603 issues.

"Just drive it until it starts leaking. Then replace the head gasket!"

Yeah, right.

Moving on...,

Dan