There were a couple of types of Synthetic when the whole fad started circa
1975. There were a couple dozen Synthetic motor oils around in the late 1970s,
many with names you hadn't heard of before or since.

Most, like M1, were POE. I forget what the others (All-Proof?) were made of.
Initially, M1 caused shrunken rubber seals and leaks.
Then Mobil added some seal swelling additives, and it caused soft swollen
seals, and you got the leaks when you quit using it.
By 1980 or so, Mobil had it straightened out, but I can't guarantee everybody
did. But I'm sure anything really out of whack was off the market by 1990.