Dave Wakin wrote:
Can't the degree of chain stretch be measure by holding the chain horizontal and measuring how many degrees it bends? I always thought that was the real degree of chain stretch anyway, and this figure is kind of backed into by the marks on cam and crank by measuring the length?

If this is the case, removeing the chain would show you how bad it is without knowing the length, right?

Why not just measure chain wear the way Mercedes has outlined it (in TSB 05/93)? Line up the cam and cam tower marks and read the number off the crank damper. The degrees of stretch is a VERY accurate measure of chain wear. That doesn't require the engine to be disassembled and requires less than one minute to accomplish when valves of an OM61x or earlier engine are being adjusted. The amount of side flex of the chain does correlate with chain wear, but I know of NO calibration scheme and I sure don't feel like disassembling a group of engines with differing amounts of chain stretch to determine how much flex related to allowable amounts of chain wear.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi