It was all in the reports.  The stuff I worked on had some fairly realistic numbers on all that, based on what we knew at the time and some reasonable expectations of the march of technology. One of the biggest assumptions was the performance of solar photovoltaics going from maybe 3% efficiency (at the time) to 6% or more, I think that is sorta typical these days, might be even better than that.  And yes the photovoltaic arrays do degrade, that was factored in, I recall something like continuous upgrades of arrays as part of the process, after a time.

While cost projections on anything are worth the paper they are printed on, if that, all-up costs on a common basis (including externalities in the costs of competing technologies) showed SPS power to be in the competitive realm, with a major assumption that costs of delivering payloads to GEO would come down, either in earth->GEO launches or in moon->GEO launches using lunar materials and propellants (including "fuelless" launches using a mass driver).  Note that building the satellites in LEO from earth-launched materials, then using electric propulsion (argon ion thrusters) to take them to GEO made sense, it takes awhile but there is plenty of power and time to do it, so no big deal. Launching stuff "downhill" makes a lot of sense, and when you have essentially unlimited resources on the moon with minimal concerns about environmental effects (externalities), either from launches or manufacturing, then it looks even better.

I talked a coupla years ago to one of my friends/colleagues from that time about Peter and these ideas, as far as she knew nothing was being done about it now.  Another colleague with whom we worked, a former Apollo astronaut, is still alive living in the DC area somewhere, I have reached out to him but have never heard back and neither has my friend (whose good friend was married to him for some time, I guess they aren't any more).  I don't know what he is up to these days, he must be way up in his 80s now.  I know he kept trying to promote these ideas with Peter.  There were also some other interesting characters involved, somewhat peripherally, but kept the ideas "out there."

As far as low-hanging fruit, yep... but sometimes a visionary can help reach that higher fruit...

Sic transit gloria mundi...

--FT