I put a 50 gallon electric hybrid tank heater in about a year and a half ago.
Granted, my usage is very different (3-4 adults, a couple of which think a
short shower is under 20 minutes) and we have the temperature setpoint of 130F.

I was a little leery of this thing due to the steep entry point, about $1100.
I’m definitely on board, as my electrical consumption has definitely dropped,
and we’ve yet to encounter an instance when the capacity was exceeded or the
backup (electric elements) had to kick in.

Of course, the initial cost has to be factored in, being about twice the cost
of a stock electric water heater, but at the current rate of consumption I can
see us coming out ahead in the long run. This and I get the benefit of “free”
air conditioning in the garage where it’s located.

I’m not convinced the electric demand heaters can do the job, or do it
economically, but that’s just my take. Another consideration with them is the
area where they’re being used and the temperature rise required during certain
times of the year. That is, how cold is that water coming into the house in the
dead of winter? Bringing 45F water up to 125F takes a lot more energy than
taking 70F water to 125F...

-D