You have done a lot more autopsies of electrical components than I. I believe you would win the bet. Cycle related or age related, components fail, and from the experience of the group with cruise control, solder joints are always a prime suspect. Whatever the mode of failure, things fail. I tend to pitch electrical components and get another one. I don't own a range of soldering irons and equipment appropriate for electronics. I don't do Automatic trans either. Just choices I have made.

At 11:27 PM 4/24/2006, you wrote:
> <commentary>  Form an engineering standpoint, there is no reason a 126
> relay should outlive a 123 relay, unless internal components were all
> replaced with ones with a much higher MTBF.  The 123 relays are known
> fail.   Any relay will cycle so many times, then fail.

I will bet money (not much!) that most any such failure is not the
moving parts, but rather a bad colder joint that has developed due to
vibration or thermal cycling, or a dried-out electrolytic capacitor.
Not related to the number of cycles at all.

-- Jim