Thank you Herr Doktor and Herr Frederick. It seems the assembly went faster than the disassembly. I got everything back together in maybe 2.5 hours total, not counting the time to try to figure out the belt routing. But thanks to quick responses I got it all together tonight except the last AT hose. It broke!

SO, I am going to replace the AT hoses and change the trans fluid and filter. Waiting again....

BTW: my solution to getting the back 2 bolts in: I put a layer of masking tape around the 3/8 drive universal joint. then by using a 6" and 3" extension on the top back bolt, I got it in. For the Bottom back bolt, I used the universal with tape, and the 12" extension. The intake manifold and the big AC hose go right where you need to work. It was not near as bad as I thought it would be. The tape was the trick.

I think Herr Frederick's 6 hours was about right for me too. It'll go faster next time, if I can remember what I did this time.

Herr Kahn, I am not sure about the life of the waterpump on a 103. I believe that the one I replaced was not original. So, in roughly 200K, this car is on the third pump. My experience, with M180 and diesels is that an MB pump will last 100 to 200k miles, with the mean being somewhere around 150k. Third party replacement pumps are usually good for 30k to 100k. In this case, what I believe was the second pump probably got rusty because the car sat for a year or possibly more. Perhaps other M103 owners can relate their experiences. I have only put about 250 miles on this one. Every time I try to drive it something breaks or I find something else unreliable. I think when i get the AT hoses, it will be good to go. Sure does drive nice with new hydraulic parts and new tires!

Loren
88 TE
87 TD, soon to be on the road again!
et al.
124 wagons are sure good (sport) driving machines!  (guessing sedans are too)
126 SDLs are wonderful longhaul road machines
123s are fun, and decent road machines
110s are fun and great road machines! (Not too shabby for sport driving as long as you don't push them too hard)
(sorry, only drove a 115 diesel once.  No opinion here)

At 09:27 PM 5/9/2006, you wrote:
Loren Faeth wrote:
> I had a little time this afternoon, So I tried putting the waterpump
> on.  Did ok.  Maybe a little over an hour to get the front end of the
> engine back together.  Passed leak test....
>
> Here is the problem: I can't remember the serp belt routing. I know I saw
> it on a job on the cd but it was illegible.  Does anyone have a picture of
> a good diagram from job 1350 or 1351?  I can't get either of those to come
> up on braingears.

Try this!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)