The aircraft avionics have proprietary  custom coded OS's that have to pass
very rigorous testing before they are certified for use. That having been
said, I use a non-certified device for navigation that runs on embedded
Windows (can't remember what the official name is). It's never failed us in
10 years of use. The same company sells versions of the software that runs
on Windows, Android, and IOS - very nice to have the exact same software on
whatever platform you have.
The main selling point of the embedded Windows device is the 1200 NIT
screen and that it doesn't do anything else - dedicated to navigation.

Some of the airbus reboot efforts could be stymied by the built-in backup
batteries in most of those devices (EFIS).

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 1:11 PM dan penoff.com via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> My feelings exactly. You don’t want to be 35,000 feet in the air and
> suddenly see the blue screen of death. However, I would be willing to bet
> modern avionics mostly run on a proprietary system or Linux kernel. I would
> hope so, at least. Maybe Grant knows?
>
> I never rely on onboard entertainment. If it’s there, great. If not, I’ve
> got reading material. Wanted to go retro today, so I watched “Wayne’s
> World” on the TPA/DFW flight. Silly and mindless, but entertaining none the
> less.
>
> -D
>
> > On Dec 4, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was on some flight  once and they had to reboot the airplane 3X.
> Finally got it to work. Was not encouraging.
> >
> > I was on a long flight once, sitting in Row1. The movie computer would
> not work. I spent 30min with a coupla FAs trying to get it running. No
> luck. The manual had no clue but it did have a small display to try to do
> something. It was some flavor of windows but had very limited capabilities.
> The FAs spent a lot of the time cussing quietly at the thing as the natives
> were restless with no electronic pacifiers until we gave up.
> >
> > --FT
> > Sent from iFōn
> >
> >> On Dec 4, 2021, at 12:59 PM, dan penoff.com via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Taking a quick trip out to the Flagstaff house for a week. Caught the
> early flight to DFW out of TPA, a later model (“neo”) Airbus of some
> flavor. Got delayed over an hour at the gate because they couldn’t get the
> flight computers to boot. They had to completely power down the aircraft,
> which still didn’t help.
> >>
> >> Ultimately, they had to get in the rear cargo hold to replace
> electronics before we were airworthy and could push back.
> >>
> >> Got into DFW with 10 minutes to get from C to E. Did my best OJ but
> came up to the gate as the jet bridge was rolling back. Poo. Holy cow does
> it suck to run with a face mask on.
> >>
> >> Thanks to American’s iPhone app they had already given me the
> opportunity to rebook. I have to go to PHX now, then puddle jump to FLG, a
> whopping 18-25 minute flight in most cases. You often spend more time
> taxiing than in the air on that flight.
> >>
> >> Whined to an agent in DFW and got upgraded to first, so that helps.
> >>
> >> Hope no more of my aircraft require rebooting today.
> >>
> >> -D

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!