In a message dated 6/21/2006 3:21:16 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

That  said...  I don't see any reason it couldn't be done.  Now,  the
professional installers may not want to do it (probably for similar  reasons
they don't want to touch manual trannies) because of some  liability
reasons.  But the simple fact is that If you get the glow  plugs to come on,
then the starter to crank, the engine will start.   Both of those are just a
matter of relays in the right places.
Your hard  part is likely to be finding the remote starter system that works
best how  you want it, and/or modifying it to handle the glow plug  timing.

Levi, and all,

Don;t forget an electric vacuum valve to release any engine shut off vacuum
signal, so the engine can start.  The same vacuum valve can shut the engine
off by adding the appropriate relays, in case of theft, time out, etc.

A diesel uses so little fuel when idling, that carbon build up, on  the
occasions that remote start is used, should be minimal.  Here, in  Phoenix, a
little cool down when you come out of the mall, theatre, etc.  would be
welcome.

I have installed remote starts on both my kids cars, as birthday presents,
and they use the feature a  lot.  My son has 3 little ones, and  loading a hot
truck is a sweaty proposition at any time!  Both gas cars  though!

Me, I think I will just tough it out, though I do admit to pre cooling  the
car of choice, if the wife is coming along.

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 262 K miles
98 ML 320, 142 K  miles