John,

The cream cover is indeed an adjuster, though it only allows about a
quarter turn in each direction. This was intended as a means to keep
the ininitiated from messing with things they shouldn't touch without
the secret handshake :^)

If you pry this cover off, you will see the metal T adjuster that most
of the manuals refer to. It will allow you much more adjustability.

I would warn that you really should have a gauge hooked up to the
transmission when you adjust this. It' really pretty easy to make one.
Saves a lot of guesswork and potential harm if you get things too far
from optimum. There's a service port on the transmission that is
intended for modulator pressure measurements. I know a lot of people
have been successful with adjusting modulator pressure by the seat of
the pants, but I've also seen cars where the pressure was so far out
you'd hear a big clunk from the driveshaft every time it shifted.
Turned out someone had been monkeying with the modulator pressure when
the problem was really a combination of vacuum leaks and a misadjusted
vacuum switch.

Gary Thompson
1995 E320