on 10/16/07 20:30, OK Don at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Friend of our family ran a Hertz agency back in the '70s, they did
> absolutely NO maintenance - at least at that time.

Yeah I worked for Budget around that time and many of their outlets did the
same thing. Was well known in the industry on a nudge wink basis.

This practice was especially widespread for the cars taken on 'buy-back'
schemes. The rental company could sell them off OR choose to simply return
them to the manufacturer on or before a certain date.

Hertz in the U.S. got caught on that and paid a whopper fine to FTC or
somesuch, also got nailed in a separate case for misleading claims on their
used cars.

I doubt that practice still exists anywhere, for several reasons:

1. Newer engines won't take it like the old detroit iron
2. Car companies caught on
3. Climate of increased liability (you can do an awful lot of oil changes
for the price of one wrongful death suit where lawyers point to lack of
maintenance).

Mac