on 10/16/07 11:58, Allan Streib at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Couple of people I know have been happy with cars they bought from
> Enterprise.  I've also heard horror stories about the things people do
> to rental cars.  Any opinions?

Any car can be subject to abuse, just ask a dealer service manager about
refused warranty claims for people with teenage kids who do serious harm to
daddy's car on a Saturday nite.

IF you are able to focus on a rental outlet that mainly serves either the
airport or hotel/uptown/corporate market, you probably have a slightly
better chance  of avoiding an abused car. But in most cities rental fleets
are fluid and the cars move around to different offices -- one exception
being that in some larger markets, upmarket autos may be reserved for
high-end clients at the airport.

However, I would suggest that really your chances are about the same with an
ex-rental as with anything else on a lot. Have the vehicle checked out
independently by someone you trust, and try to look beyond a complete detail
job for evidence of collision repair or  abuse to the interior.

When I worked for Budget we sold a lot of cars out to taxi drivers. Urban
legend had it that they found them more reliable and longer-lived than cars
purchased off private sales.

Mac