Hey Hendrick -

    You know?  Pretty soon I'm going to give up and go target practice. ;-)

    The obsession you see is with personal responsibility.  True, I have a
gun I keep loaded and ready to fire - if it's not in that condition it's
basically a paperwieght.

    Yep, that Granny was undoubtedly staged - she was probably *almost* as
anti-gun as the people filming that piece of drivil. ;-)

    I realize you can't see the need for personal protection against
muggers, home invaders, and just plain mean people - you are very lucky.
But that's what you get when you're the Melting Pot of the world with
unregulated immigrants arriving daily - people who may have been criminals
in their homeland who decided to find a better place to operate.  And they
end up here.

    We don't have a caste or class system like those that exist in some
older countries so people tend to mix more completely putting have's and
have-not's in close proximty - the credit problem you've probably heard
about has exacerbated the problem by selling people houses they had no hope
of paying for - when they default, the govt bails them out at least for a
while . But it looks like home ownership is way up - but we have uneducated
people barely scrapping out a living living close to people who are
professionals.  It creates a tension -then greed & envy take over.   Seeing
your neighbor driving a new Mercedes Blutect ;-) when all you have is a
dieing Pacer and the tension escalates.  Throw in some teenagers who have
little hope of staying off drugs and out of jail (or alive) and soon there
are people thinking the way to the "good life" is to break into Mr. Jones'
house and steal a bag of money.

    The fact that my name isn't Jones and I don't have a bag of money doen't
mean some car with 3 or 4 guys thinking I'm wealthy & they decide to kick my
front door in and see what they can end up with.  Unfortunately it happens
every day but not to me.

    So I don't plan to be sitting here with a pillow for protection preying
they won't hurt me.  Like those kids and profs at Va Tech last year - if the
college administration had allows those with CCWs (and had gone thru the
extensive background checks) to carry their gun that guy would not have
killed 32 - he may have gotten 2 or 3 - but at least they could have stopped
him.

    I know you probably don't think bad things happen often enough to
justify carrying a gun, but there are situations where one is needed.  It's
not good to count on the mercy of someone who may not know the meaning of
the word.

Have a nice weekend -

Larry T (66 MGB, 74 911, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net