This amazing number of participants may be misleading.

For instance, I've been running a SETI@home client ... (okay, okay, it's because SETI supports uncommon platforms) and was quite amazed, when I returned my first completed workunit, to find that I was now ahead of over 30% of their users. After returning 2 work units I think I was ahead of 50% of them. Recalling that the total userbase of SETI was then almost 4 million users, you can see just how many lamers SETI must have listed! (Note: these workunits take about 22 hours on a PII-450, so this isn't much effort)

Perhaps we could catch some more publicity by appending "@home" to the end of the project, thus: "GIMPS@home", or "primes@home" ?

Jeff Woods wrote:

At 09:09 AM 10/22/02 -0600, you wrote:

> Folding@Home's success:
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/10/021022070813.htm
>
> Again, they mention SETI@home. As if that were the only other
> distributed project out there. *sigh*

Two years ago, Pande launched Folding@home – a distributed computing
project that so far has enlisted the aid of more than 200,000 PC owners,
whose screensavers are dedicated to simulating the protein-folding process.

Either they were really great activists in signing people up, or GIMPS
has SOMETHING about it that won't get people to participate.   We either
need to step up our profile, be more active at recruiting, or do
SOMETHING to get us off the static bubble we've been on, at about 18,000
members, 31,000 computers, and falling.   Our output goes up ONLY
because most of our members upgrade as CPUs get better and cheaper.

--
======= Gareth Randall =======