hi,

Tuesday, October 22, 2002, 8:40:08 PM, "Jeff Woods" wrote:

> Either they were really great activists in signing people up, or GIMPS has
> SOMETHING about it that won't get people to participate.   We either need
> to step up our profile, be more active at recruiting, or do SOMETHING to
> get us off the static bubble we've been on, at about 18,000 members, 31,000
> computers, and falling.   Our output goes up ONLY because most of our
> members upgrade as CPUs get better and cheaper.

as i said some years ago: GIMPS misses sex-appeal!  make it look
cooler, hipper, with status graphs, prime server statistics, etc.  it
must LOOK scientific!  WE may know that scientific stuff doesn't look
like it, but the average user does not.  (s)he might want something
that looks like from the movies.

look at SETI, then look at GIMPS.  no wonder people don't sign up.

if the UI is basically all you have (since there are so very seldom
results, like once a month or so), then the UI is the thing you have
to invest into.  it is all you have.  it is all that the users gets.

please comment...

/chris/