On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:49:14AM -0700, tom fogal wrote:
|                                                          ... GL really
| needs a query that allows an application developer to figure out if a
| feature is accelerated by the hardware or not.  Since it lacks this,
| the advertising of extensions is just about the only thing we, as app
| developers, can use as a heuristic.

This has been discussed since the Dawn of Time, but it might be useful
to recap the main reasons why such a query doesn't exist: (1) There's no
tractable way to enumerate isolated features or deal with the
combinatorial explosion of state variables that affect whether any given
feature is accelerated.  (2) Some features can be partially accelerated,
so it's not clear what a query should return in such cases.  (3) On some
systems, there have been features that were available in the GPU but
were faster if implemented in software on the CPU.  (4) Even if a
feature is "accelerated" in some way, it may still be too slow to use.

The only reliable way to solve the problem is to benchmark the
operations you want to use, in precisely the conditions you intend to
use them, and then make a judgement as to whether the performance is
good enough.  This tends to be application-specific, so previous
attempts to make a centralized database of results failed.  I wouldn't
say it's impossible, but it is very difficult.

I haven't tracked this subject since I left the ARB, but maybe the
Khronos folks have done some more work on it.

As you say, using extension advertisements seems to be the most common
workaround, though it's far from perfect.

Allen