José Fonseca wrote:
> Michal,
>
> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 06:27 -0800, michal wrote:
>> I would like to have those two modules go away, as they are maintenance
>> pain with no real benefits.
>>
>> The build module has been superseded by the ureg module, and apparently
>> all third-party code has already migrated or is in the process of
>> porting to new interface. I would like to nuke it if nobody minds.
>
> I'm fine with this.

We can't remove this until we switch to ureg in the draw code.  The
draw_pipe_pstipple.c, draw_pipe_aaline.c and draw_pipe_aapoint.c files
still haven't been converted to use tgsi_ureg.  There may be some
other uses elsewhere.  Michal, can you update that code first?

>> For sse2, I am looking at simplifying it enough to be able to accelerate
>> pass-thru fragment shaders and simple vertex shaders. That's it. For
>> more sophisticated stuff we already have llvmpipe.
>
> I agree with this in principle, but I think it's better not to get too
> much ahead of ourselves here: drivers are using tgsi_exec/sse2 for
> software vertex processing fallbacks. And while the plan is indeed to
> move the LLVM JIT code generation out of llvmpipe into the auxiliary
> modules so that all pipe drivers can use that for fallbacks, the fact is
> we're not there yet.
>
> So for tgsi_sse2 I think it's better not to introduce any performance
> regressions in vertex processing until llvm code generation is in place
> and working for everybody.

I agree.  It's too early to remove the sse2 code.

-Brian