Guillem Jover wrote:
> Hi!
>
> [ CCing Daniel Borca who used to work on 3dfx support in Mesa and
>   libglide, not sure though if he is around or interested anymore. ]
>
> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 17:25:02 -0700, Brian Paul wrote:
>> 3. I'm tempted to remove some old Mesa drivers such as glide, tdfx,
>> allegro, ggi, dri/mga, dri/mach64.  Maybe more.  Any objections?
>
> Could the drivers for actual hardware (namely glide, tdfx, dri/mga
> and dri/mach64) be exempted from removal? I at least still have cards
> for those, not sure though how many users might be out there, but
> whenever libglide has broken in Debian, I tend to receive bug reports,
> so I'd assume there's still some. And it always saddens me a bit when
> hardware support gets dropped in projects.

I have/had no idea if the tdfx, glide, mga or mach64 drivers function
anymore.  If someone is actively using or testing the drivers I guess
we could keep them, but I'd rather not otherwise.

> Out of curiousity, are those burdersome to deal with, or hindering
> further imrpovements or development in other areas? Anything major
> that needs to be done to them? I can perfectly understand the desire
> to remove legacy stuff that might block or take much of your time,
> keeping them would still be appreciated. I also fear I have my hands
> full already with lots of stuff, so cannot offer much of help, at
> least right now. Though, I should finally cleanup and commit upstream
> some of the libglide patches I have in Debian.

When I change core things in Mesa (like the texformat overhaul last
fall) I wonder if the lesser-used drivers still function since I don't
test them.

In any case, older versions of Mesa with the drivers in question won't
go away so people can use those if needed.

-Brian