Starting to use groups and they are definitely a major advance, but I guess
I have to change the architecture of my stack for testing scripts, which
used to rely on card script passes to background script hierarchy.

Now with Metacard we have Stacks - cards - groups? So the only way for a
script on a card to have access to shared scripts is to place them at stack
level, or perhaps do something unorthodox with the message hierarchy.
Inserting would seem to allow me to effectively place scripts before the
target/card or after the "home" scripts???

The "Objects" card of the "Concepts & Techniques" stack seems to indicate
that messages pass through along:

     control - group - card - background - stack

Since as far as I can tell a group is identical to a background except for
how it is referred to then I am unclear when a groups/backgrounds script
will be called?

Does it depend whether the group is on the card??? If it is not will it
still be intercepted as a background object (as suggested by "Objects" card
of the "Concepts & Techniques")?

I think the answer for my stack will be to set the script of an object on a
group in order to test it, rather than setting the card script. Suppose I'm
just trying to pin down the concept of "backgrounds" in MetaCard and the
implications for property inheritance and message passing.

How's this for a definition:

    1) a group is a background placed on a card
    2) all groups are therefore in this sense backgrounds
    2b) or alternatively a background is a group not on the current card.
    3) stacks can contain backgrounds which are not placed on any cards
    4) backgrounds do not receive messages, only when placed on a card as a
group.
    5) try to forget about backgrounds and think of groups and layers