Date: Wed Jul 02 09:43:00 PDT 2008
From: Guillaume Lebleu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Microformats Discuss <microformats-discuss@microformats.org>
Subject: Re: [uf-discuss] Human and machine readable data format
---

Michael MD wrote:
> Allowing language conventions for date parsing to be determined by anything
> "global" sounds a bit dangerous to me.
>
> Someone might post on a shared blog/forum site in a different country and
> mark it up in a way that does not match a lang attribute somewhere else on
> the page!
>
> also - who is going to say that all replies to the post or comments that
> might also appear on that same page are going to follow the same language
> rules
Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly. What I meant here was that a
lang="..." attribute on the element of class vevent or dstart is recommended at
all times (to deal with the very ambiguity you are referring to), but is
optional to comply with DRY. If not present, its value may be inferred from the
closest containing/ancestor element with a lang attribute, for instance a lang
attribute value at the level of the html element.

In other words, if I want to write my date in French in an en-us html document,
I'd have to attach lang="fr" to my date or its containing content, but if I
want to write my date in American English in the same document, I don't have to
attach lang="en-us", although it wouldn't hurt to.

Do you still see this as dangerous practice?