On 3 Jul 2008 at 10:03, Scott Reynen wrote:

> On [Jul 2], at [ Jul 2] 4:37 , Bob Jonkman wrote:
>
> > In an appointment, the date IS the content.
>
> *A* date is, but not the ISO date.  I think that's a subtle but
> important distinction we've overlooked too often.  You never see ISO
> dates presented to (nor entered by) people in applications that work
> with iCalendar.  They're only used to *produce* content.  I think HTML
>  entities are probably the closest analogy.  The entities themselves
> are not the content; they're merely used to produce the content in
> various contexts (i.e. character sets).  We don't display entities; we
>  only display the content they're used (by machines) to produce.  If
> we  recognize that ISO dates are the same type of information
> ("metadata"  or whatever you want to call it), then not displaying
> them isn't a  compromise; it's just the obvious way to treat that type
> of  information, the same way it's treated everywhere else.

In that case it should be acceptable avoid the use of <abbr>
altogether, so that neither sighted nor hearing people have to put
up with seeing or hearing the metadata.

    tomorrow

The title text still shows a popup in my browser (FF3), but I don't
believe screen readers speak it.  It also doesn't distract sighted
users since a <span> element is by default undecorated, while <abbr>
shows with a dotted underline in FF3.  However, styling is dependent
on the browser implemention and can always be specified with CSS
anyway.

I believe that an ISO date is a valid expansion of prosaic dates, so
that <span> is less semantic than using

  <abbr class="dtstart" title="2008-07-06">
    tomorrow
  </abbr>

but that debate appears to have no resolution and I'm willing to
cede just to move along.

--Bob.
Bob Jonkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         http://sobac.com/sobac/