Bob Jonkman wrote:
     <abbr title="July 3rd, 2008">
       tomorrow
     </abbr>
Bob, assuming that screen readers only read out the content of abbr's @title, this solution looks promising (I've tried with VoiceOver, but the title content is ignored.)

The only problem of course is for human content authors who are effectively asked to write the same information 3 times in 3 different formats (not very DRY)! I just don't see myself doing that manually. For this to work, I'd expect at least an extra button in my HTML editor to tag "tomorrow" as 2008-07-23 by selecting a date in a calendar widget, or better, for my HTML editor to detect some of these date shortcuts automatically for me, and suggest machine data for them, which I can confirm before publishing, something similar to [1]. It seems to me that it would be a practical way to distribute the CPU-intensive task of semantically tagging Web content [3].

BTW, on the use of abbr for dates, I've researched a number of style guides such as [2]. It seems that "2/03/2005" is legitimate as an abbreviated form of the inline format "February 3, 2005".

Guillaume

[1] http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/yahoo-shortcuts/
[2] http://web.mit.edu/comdor/editguide/style-matters/date_time.html#dates
[3] http://gigaom.com/2008/07/02/the-real-reason-powerset-sold-out/