From: Nick Holland <n...@holland-consulting.net>
To: misc@openbsd.org
Sent:
Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: openbsd and vmware

On
02/05/13 06:03, Bogdan Andu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few questions related to
openbsd and vmware.

> What are the best practices to run OpenBSD in
vmware?

Just Do It?
I haven't found any problems running OpenBSD in VMware
ESXi or whatever
they call it this week.  I usually just tell the management
tool the VM
is a FreeBSD system.  However, I'll admit my uses are fairly
simple and
more development/testing/low-need type stuff...i.e., VM
appropriate.

> Are there any known problems one should take into
consideration
> before virtualization?

Lots.  The exact same as any other OS,
though.  All eggs in one basket,
security farce, complexity leading to
increasing downtime, etc.  In
short, take almost everything VMware calls a
benefit, invert, and you
are close to reality.  But again, nothing to do with
OpenBSD.

In terms of OpenBSD on VMware benefits...forget vmware tools.  Much
of
the functionality is built into OpenBSD, unlike most other OSs pushed
for
"virtualizing".

> I already have a functional machine runnig OpenBSD 5.2
/amd64 on bare
> metal.
>
> It is possible to create a virtual machine from
one already running
> apart from installing the os in vm and then migrating
and installing
> all applications?

In almost all cases, you will find OpenBSD
much easier than most other
OS for this kind of stuff.

Take a physical
machine, disk image it, drop it on vmware, boot single
user, mount root
partition, rename hostname.whatever0 to hostname.em0,
if you are not using
DUIDs (and you switched from wd(4) to sd(4) disks),
fix fstab (not necessary
if you are using DUIDs), and it will just work
(I may be forgetting something,
but it's all totally simple).  Try that
with Windows or Linux -- not gonna
happen.  Note: P2V by raw disk image
is not my recommended way of doing it,
but I find the ability to do it
shows how darned nifty OpenBSD is about things
like this.

Nick.