I'm Using KVM to virtualize OpenBSD 5.2 right now. I'm not that impressed
about Vmware. I used a esxi server for 2 years extensivly. Things i didnt
like : cli,closed software,bloated,technical documentation,gui.
Not that KVM is much better at this point,but at least, i have the sources.
problems i found using kvm and openbsd:
SMP not working as it should.
spice and qxl is not that good right now.
No virto drivers for openbsd(disk i miss the most)
Virt-viewer (remote spice viewer app)  has some annoying keyboardlayout
obfuscation.
And with a look in the future i dont think the problems are going to to be
solved. A recent article on phoronix.com had information about qxl getting
KMS support. Correct me if im wrong, but this seems quite linux only to me.

Non the less, i use KVM right now for a few OpenBSD,Linux and Win8
Maschines and overall it performs quite well. One of myinterests are VDI
solutions, for that i will check citrix (xen) as an alternative in the
future.

--send from mobile