On 10/08/13 20:42, thornton.rich...@gmail.com wrote:
I love OpenBSD, seriously, and developers of it are clearly geniuses. And
any chance I get I promote it.

Excellent, and I applaud you for that.

You should take a look at the papers/presentations the devs have given. The stuff Theo wrote on W^X was mind boggling. Over my head, but I got the gist. I'm not going to find the ones I'm thinking of (it's been a while since I read them), I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. You'll find plenty of mind-blowing stuff.

(Ok, I can't resist. I'll link to one particular page that's really easy to understand: http://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsdcon_2013_time_t/mgp00003.html. Maybe another, this is from 2005, and I nearly lost my mind: http://www.openbsd.org/papers/ven05-deraadt/index.html)

I don't mean to single out Theo, but he started this thread, so he remains the focus. You should read the stuff the other devs have written, it's all excellent stuff. The genius shines through.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE
network.

All I can say is, I hope you don't do anything private with your device. You have two /proven/ weak points in your hand. Anything HTTPS/TLS/SSL on your handheld is probably moot, but I'd still use crypto anyway. :) Convenience comes with a price.

And Richard, thanks for sharing your thoughts.  It adds to the balance.

--
Scott McEachern

https://www.blackstaff.ca

"Beware the Four Horsemen of the Information Apocalypse: terrorists, drug dealers,
kidnappers, and child pornographers. Seems like you can scare any public into allowing
the government to do anything with those four."  -- Bruce Schneier