On Oct 9, 2013, at 12:15 AM, Scott McEachern <sc...@blackstaff.ca> wrote:

> On 10/08/13 17:38, Richard Thornton wrote:
>> I am not flippant enough to say that the NSA revelations do not matter,
>> but what are we supposed to do?  The Middle Eastern terrorism threat is
>> real and we need to be able to stop them anyway necessary.
>>
>> All it takes is one of them to hit every Walmart in the neighborhood,
>> buy every pay-as-you-go phone they have, then pass them out to their
>> friends in every Mosque.  Now you have a new terrorism threat.  So,
>> welcome to the real world my friend, and wake up.

[...]

> And for the record, both you and Ze Loff should stick to facts and rational
> discussion.  Bigots and morons are best defeated with those, and they'll show
> their true colours, debasing their own opinions.  There's no need for insults
> and ad hominem attacks.

First of all I owe an apology to the list and, albeit partially, to Richard. I
now realise I overreacted a bit. I don't think hate (in the broadest sense of
the word) belongs in this list and the comments the kind of which Richard made
really get on my nerves. Ironically enough, I ended up spreading the hate
myself. Again, my apologies.

That being said, Richard, if you still stand behind your comment and your gross
generalisation about muslims, I must still call you a bigot. And just for the
sake of clarity I have the utmost respect for the victims of 9/11, as I have
for those in Boston, Fallujah, Gaza, Auschwitz, Sbrenica, Sudan, Rwanda,
Chechnya or in that theatre in Moscow a few years ago. In short for every one
who was harmed by some idiot/state who thinks his beliefs (religious or not) is
better than the rest of them. The "all muslims are terrorists" generalisation
is as dumb and shortsighted as saying all blond girls are stupid, all americans
are fat gun fanatics, all germans are nazis, all jews are... I'm sure you get
the point.

Just to bring this slightly back on-topic, please realise that terrorism (as
real as it is) has been used as an pretext. Intercepting communications on the
UN has nothing to do with it, nor does planting bugs on the European
Parliament, nor does spying on Brasil's President or its state oil company.

And Scott, thanks for setting me straight and for the rest of your message.

Again sorry for the noise and kudos on the YYCIX, Theo.
Zé