On Oct 9, 2013, at 3:44 AM, Benjamin Heath <benjamin.joel.he...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> But, people have given up this information. They weren't even paid or
> coerced. Why so naive?

(Quite) a few years ago, the Dutch government wanted to make sure everyone had
a proper burial, according to each one's beliefs and rituals. So they asked
people to state their religious beliefs. This is a good idea right? Everyone's
wishes get respected even if you had no family or if your whole family died in
an accident or fire or whatever. Besides, "I've got nothing to hide, being
<insert your religion here> is nothing to be ashamed of and I'm proud of my
heritage". So the government made a nice list. And then a few years later
Germany invaded the Netherlands.

Point being, it's not naiveté. It's this whole "I've got nothing to hide
anyway, let them look" / "I am not that important" mentality. People fail to
realise that this is not about you having something to hide or not. It's about
your right to hide something /if and when you want to/.