This is probably unrelated but I've noticed that the fetching that
happens with "make install" in ports seems less robust than it used to
be.  If my internet provider disconnects or the connection gets reset
beyond that, it doesn't resume the download.  And I've tried setting
FETCH_CMD to wget -c, it doesn't help much (in 5.6, that's what I have
my 5.2 machine set to).

So I do a make install, wait until I've got a working URL, then ctrl-c
to stop it, copy the url, open another rxvt in the distfiles dir, type
wget, paste the URL.  wget very rarely fails.

I've got portsql installed and was able to make myself some partial
fetchlists from that but my query didn't find dependencies of
dependencies.  A scratch install of 5.6 still took a couple months.