On 2015-02-18, Stefan Wollny <stefan.wol...@web.de> wrote:
> Am 02/18/15 um 17:08 schrieb Stuart Henderson:
>> On 2015-02-18, Stefan Wollny <stefan.wol...@web.de> wrote:
>>> Could "mss 1460" be the core of the issue? I have the following:
>>>
>>> ~ $ sudo cat /etc/pf.conf | grep mss match in all scrub (no-df
>>> random-id max-mss 1440)
>>>
>>> ~ $ sudo cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep mss
>>> net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1440
>>
>> Neither of these make sense on a typical laptop, and they make me
>> query what else you might have changed on the system.

Oh, so I see where you got these now.

PLEASE IGNORE CALOMEL DOT ORG, THE SITE GIVES BAD ADVICE.

>> What does pfctl -si say?
>>
>> When you get the "no route to host", what does e.g. "route -n get
>> 8.8.8.8" say? (i.e. some host on the internet). Are you able to
>> ping your fritzbox or the proxy-server at that time?
>>

> Hi Stuart,
>
> to answer your question: No, the line is dead - I can't ping anything.

Well, I asked several questions, in the hope of trying to find out what's
actually going on rather than working around by bouncing the connections off
another machine. Oh well.

> But I just received off-list the suggestion from Gene that the
> environment variables might not being passed on to root. I followed
> his advice like so:

Yes various people had already mentioned that about sudo on-list too ;)