>Because the kernel cannot know what memory it should leave untouched,
>to use such BIOS functions.

Why not? I understand that there is some degree of variance amongst BIOS usage
of memory but the upper bounds seem to be clearly defined (if I am not
misinformed). And surely it would be possible to make decisions based on the
BIOS detected.

>Also, BIOS functions are traditionally coded only powerful enough bootup
style operation.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'powerful enough'. Somebody who installs OpenBSD
and cannot access the internet now has a double problem 1) he can't access the
internet 2) he therefore can't search online for information about how to fix
the problem.

He must now reinstall his old OS (or use a live bootable USB/CD) to look
things up. Power off. Boot OpenBSD. Try it out. Power down. Repeat. Surely,
having the option to have a cut down system while he gets things working
properly is going to be a useful feature.

>Their primitives simply
>are not powerful enough to match the concurrency, locking, memory mapping,
>etc needs of the kernel.  Especially the concurrency - most use poll-style
>operations.  Nothing else would happen at the same time.

OK. I think I see what you are saying here. I certainly agree that the end
goal is get things up and running properly. That's why I asked if this feature
was available. To provide the user who has just installed with a stepping
stone to achieve that goal.

>Finally, because BIOS on all platforms are full of history and BUGS.

Yes, I've been looking into it and it certainly does seem messy. It's a wonder
computers actually work nowadays given that the history seems to dictate such
a terrible mess of architecture. I wonder what a brand new PC developed in
hind sight that doesn't have to worry about backward compatibility would like
look.

>We'd rather jump off a cliff.

The more I look into this the more I start to think that I wasn't being
extreme enough when I decided it would be easier to build my OS than play
around with everyone else's. It now seems what I should have decided was to
build my own hardware and then after that the OS design would be a far simpler
affair.

0x00