> Seriously, though. The thought must have crossed your mind at least once
> during all these years of mopping up the mess that MS/Intel seem to have
> concocted over the years.
>
> I wonder what a hardware system designed by BSD bootloader, kernel and driver
> hackers would look like. I should expect that careful design choices in the
> hardware could reduce the bloat considerably. Not to mention the complexity.

Rather than writing the rich ecosystem OpenBSD turned into, we should have
tried to write BIOS's.

That's just such an awesome idea.

I think I know a perfect candidate to take this further:

You.

> I do wonder if the best and most experienced BSD hackers got together and made
> wish list for the new line of hardware that would run a next generation system
> with no legacy baggage what would that wish list look like.

Seriously?  That's what you think changes the world?

You are obviously a young academic with lots of time.  Go for it.