From: owner-m...@openbsd.org [mailto:owner-m...@openbsd.org] On Behalf Of
Peter Kay
Sent: December 23, 2015 12:37 AM
To: Dragos Ruiu <d...@kyx.net>; 'Read, James C' <jcr...@essex.ac.uk>; 'Theo de
Raadt' <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org>; Dragos Ruiu <d...@kyx.net>; 'Read, James C'
<jcr...@essex.ac.uk>; 'Theo de Raadt' <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org>
Cc: 'OpenBSD general usage list' <misc@openbsd.org>; 'OpenBSD general usage
list' <misc@openbsd.org>
Subject: Re: Boot loader uses INT 13h [WAS BIOS call fallback]

On 23 December 2015 02:04:01 GMT+00:00, Dragos Ruiu <d...@kyx.net> wrote:

>I would be interested in any code that can knowingly break inside a VM
>to verify unvirtualized status, esp. on Skylake. Older processors can
>probably use the virtualization bugs in the hardware for this function.
Who cares? Yes, there will be processor quirks that can be used, and often
hypercalls to verify you're running under a hypervisor. Beyond that, a VM has
a large degree of difference from a physical PC - I would not be confident of
hiding this from the OS.

It's not OpenBSD's problem, though. If you don't know if you're running in a
VM the most probable causes are trojaned install media (to the point it
verifies the hash) or a hacked BIOS. If it's a BIOS you need to verify the
BIOS, the NIC boot ROM, the graphics card ROM, the disk controller ROM, the
disk drive itself, and any remote access/baseboard management controller that
exists.

If you're that paranoid, you need a specific tool to find the source of the
issue, not OpenBSD